PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Role Models
Thread: Role Models
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2010, 20:42
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
Arthur Lee "Bill" Googe, Jr./RCAF 428 Squadron WWII

Every now and then you meet someone who you hold in high esteem and try to imitate. A friend of the family is such a Man. I always saw in him what I should strive to be....and always fell short.

He is American, joined the RCAF before Pearl Harbor, and wound up flying Lancasters over Germany and unlike so many of his kind, survived unharmed. To add to this is the fact he neither smoked or drank and remained true to his young Bride back in the USA.

He is well into his Eighties now and still quite the Gentleman despite having lost his one true love a few years back.

He has a book in print now....quite a good read and done in simple language so representative of the way he has lived his life. I recommend the book to any who are interested in tales of those days.

He did twenty missions over Germany with 428 Squadron based at Middleton-St. George (Teeside) where I flew in the late 70's with Bristow.

The book is titled "That's the Way It Was!" by Arthur Lee "Bill" Googe, Jr.

The publisher is Whitline Ink-Incorporated.

I am having the old fellow out for lunch tomorrow and will be introducing him to a local news columnist who does "Human Interest" stories for the local rag.

Last edited by SASless; 8th Jun 2010 at 02:09.