PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 604 typed pilots in the UK
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2010, 13:00
keithskye

The Ego
Has Landed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At Uncle Wiggly

Okay, I've cooled off. I'm sure I over-reacted, but you and Tamer caught me at just the wrong moment on a fairly rough day. I also looked up "Prima Donna" to see if I was not using the phrase correctly. This is one of the two definitions for "Prima Donna" that I found in the dictionary: "a vain or undisciplined person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team".

When I refer to having to deal with, and trying to avoid, "Prima Donnas", I am talking about those pilots who have no discipline, do not want to work together to get the job done as part of the team, and complain loudly when they are asked to do something.

Now, I also know that another definition I've seen is this: "A temperamental, conceited person, egotistical, unreasonable and irritable, with a rather high opinion of themselves not shared by others".

I can see how you might think that I fit that definition , especially if you don't know me personally and possibly have not read other posts I have made, and I understand your comment based on that, but I think you took my original comments out of context. If I am irritable or annoyed, its because I have been having to deal with "Prima Donna" pilots who don't want to work hard and yet demand big salaries and benefits, and to top it all off, most of them don't have the qualifications or experience that would give them the right to even begin to act like that. Believe me, if you were in my shoes and were having to deal with the people I have had to deal with lately, you'd feel the same way I do!

If you read all of my threads and posts, check out my background and talk to people who work with me and fly with me, and then you still think I'm a Prima Donna after that, then so be it. We all have an opinion, but if asking or expecting that those that fly or work for me meet the same standards and requirements I hold myself to is being a Prima Donna, then you can call me that all day long.

Oh, and by the way, at 6'2" and 205 pounds, I definitely don't have "short man complex" nor was I ever picked on at school (except that one time when I was only 14 and I started dating that hot 17 yr old cheerleader...all the 17-18 yr old guys on the football team were quite put out by that and tried hard to dissuade me from treading on their "turf" - I happily fought all of them and proudly wore a black eye a couple of times, because she was well worth it)!

Keith

Last edited by keithskye; 7th Jun 2010 at 19:33.