PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 7th Jun 2010, 07:39
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a job I just want to protect it on the T&C's my company and my union have given me.
I sympathise, honestly I really do. The quote above applies to me too (Airbus Captain). However, it simply isn't practical to hold out for no changes. BA can't afford it - despite what BASSA would have you believe. Under the current circumstances, your priority should be to protect your job. The only way you can do this (as the other workgroups in BA have already recognised) is to do your best to keep BA in business. As you say, you love your job. Why throw it away?

The offer from BA detailed a few pages back was a good one, all things considered, yet BASSA chose not to accept it. It wasn't even put to the membership for a vote (why not?). I guarantee that as a result of this intransigence, whatever deal eventually materialises will be significantly inferior. That offer gave you the chance to retain most of your terms and conditions. The next one almost certainly won't.

Interestingly, one of my colleagues spoke to WW about his intentions after we had signed our part of the deal. We had basically been given the choice of an "all pay" or "all T&Cs" or "a bit of each" solution to achieve our savings. WW expected us to protect our pay at all costs and said he would have only gone after our T&Cs if we had not come to an agreement. Personally (having taken about a 5% cut), I'm pleased we did a deal.

Good luck. I think you'll need it.