PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2010, 23:57
trashie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
approach and landing accident reduction

I continue to be amazed at the number of approach and landing accidents that have occurred over the past few years.

Six years ago I was involved in the Flight Safety Foundations roll out of their approach and landing accident reduction program (ALARP) in Australia. At the time ALA accidents made up almost 60% of all accidents. I hazard a guess it is even higher at the moment. According to the FSF at the time implementation of the program amongst South American airlines had been the main reason accident rates in that region had substantially decreased. The culture of the airlines involved had been turned around with simulator training emphasising that G/As were fully supported if a stabilised approach had not been achieved at a certain point of the approach. This training was fully supported by the airlines management.

Most code sharing airlines are now subject to the IATA IOSA audit program. Perhaps the ALARP program should be included in an airlines operational audit program as part of the cultural assessment of the airlines management.