PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2010, 23:12
jerboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airside Expansion

Taking the topic slightly off CO for a bit. I travelled through the 'new' BRS terminal this weekend. First thing to say is that its great to see the airport getting (clearly needed) expansion, and although I didn't get to use the new passenger walkway, one could see how huge benefits must already being brought about by the reduced use of coaches etc.

One thing really niggled me though... Where the hell are all the seats?? I was airside for about an hour and I didn't fancy being ripped off by the many cafes/restaurants etc. The tiny seating area (next to gates 5 and 6 I think) was completely full. I wondered upstairs, sat down at Burger King and I was asked to move along, being told that the area was for paying customers only. So I had to stand around for the best part of 45 minutes.

Its not a huge deal for me personally and I realise the whole point of this is to get people into the shops/restaurants spending their cash. But I think when there's free seating for about 40 people max it slightly takes the mickey. We all know what shopping malls LHR/LGW are, but at least there's plenty of places to sit.

What happens if there's big fog delays and hundreds of passengers are airside for hours at a time? Or if Saga decide to parade a plane full of oldies (who don't know how to work Starbucks) through the terminal? I can see it turning into a bit of a nightmare.