PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2010, 21:18
HendrikJan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alitalia witness report

Thanks C-SAR. I checked but I can still find no link. The background of my question is the following:

The Alitalia flight AZ871, executed by I-BIKF did indeed take off from Tripoli at the same time window as the the unfortunate Afriqiyah plane. It was reported ARRIVATO in FCO at 07:42. Scheduled take off timeTripoli was 06:05 local time.

The questions I have as a non expert (I am not a pilot, I analyse flight punctuality) in this field are:

I find it hard to believe a pilot who is holding for take-off at 09 takes off after he witnessed a passenger plane disintegrate in front of his eyes just seconds before. Several pilots I interviewed shared my feeling.

If the pilot was holding at 09 than the passengers sitting at the window seats on the right must have seen the dissater scene, when he positioned for take of, as well. No mention of that in any paper. Other than the plane carried very few passengers this is hard to believe in todays world. Passengers will speak, as members do on this forum.

Why does Alitalia management refuse to comment when asked if AZ871 took of just before or just after the crash? (I have a firm confirmation of this) What is so difficult to answer such a factual question?

The I-BKF continued it's normal service after arrival in FCO and returned to Tripoli the next day.

I am sure all questions can be answered. Most of the members here are pilots: a simple question: would you have taken off after an Airbus crashes in front of you?