PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL training in South Africa for an American?
Old 6th Jun 2010, 15:18
xenu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL training in South Africa for an American?

I like the idea of training in a far off exotic country rather than at home. The structured environment and isolation from distractions seems more conducive to learning. Also, I'll be able to experience a far off exotic country while fulfilling my dream of learning to fly.

One school I'm considering is APTRAC in Port Elizabeth. They quoted me a price of 77K Rand or ~10,000 USD including accommodation with meals. With airfare to SA that will be $11,000. Assuming miscellaenous expenses the grand total is $12,000.

Training is broken down over two months into 25 hours dual, 15 hours solo, and 5 hours dual simulator. Ground school and testing is also included.

I live in an area with many small airports (Tri-State NYC region). The price for a PPL locally would cost between $9-$10k. This does not include accommodation or the opportunity to see another country.

Assuming I pass, is it feasible to convert my CAA license into an FAA license? Will the process be simply a matter of taking the FAA written + flight test back home?

What do you think of my plan? Any feedback/advice/tips/warnings will be greatly appreciated.