PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss evacuates in Thessalonique
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2002, 18:46
RoboAlbert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the contrary Devils Advocate…

The circumstances are far from clear in the Swiss incident – and I’m the first to agree that the inherently risky process of a ground evacuation might not have been appropriate in that particular instance. I also feel that the any decision to evacuate should involve the flight deck crew.
However, what concerned me was the tone the tone of a number of postings which seem to suggests that anyone rear of the flight deck have little to offer in helping to prevent accidents. Comments such as ….

‘Some cabin crew have strange ideas’

‘Many of the FA's I have noticed over the years did not know what time of day it was, let alone...what was 'fit’’

…suggest that some people are totally dismissive of any input that their cabin crew might make.

I consider myself very lucky, the back of my aircraft is patrolled by an Air Load Master who has received training which allows him to provide a good deal of useful input during emergencies. However, we also carry Air Stewards on occasions. These guys are really there to assist during ground evacuations and although trained to do this task they are generally lacking in flying experience. However, if either of these guys comes up on intercom I’d treat what they have to say seriously. Maybe with the Air Steward I might have to work harder to ascertain the exact nature or extent of a problem but his input could still avert an accident or incident. If people persist in creating a culture where cabin crew are expected to have no thoughts beyond serving lunch then that’s all they will do and a potential source of useful inputs will be lost - and hey, maybe some aircraft too.