PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Muscat ATC
Thread: Muscat ATC
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2010, 09:46
ATCO1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetjock330,

If only you knew! People say a lot of things out of ignorance when they don't know the tasks and constraints that others work with.

Just to elucidate for you, all those NOTAMed level restrictions were to keep you all separated! If we didn't impose them, you'd have had a number of close calls and would think even less of our services. In cyclonic WX, we have no choice. In order to maintain separation (which is what you want, what you pay for, yeah?) , we have to impose extraordinary restrictions to ensure safety. You wouldn't believe where aircraft pop up, way off track, in these conditions. Couple that with failed radars and failed links to our radios that cover the Mumbai FIR boundary, we have no tools to work with, so rudimentary flow control measures were put in place. Not very good ones, but ones that saved a lot of heartache later.

I am proud of the people I worked with over the last three days. If you'd have sat next to them and watched the sometimes desperate work that they did on your behalf, I bet snide comments wouldn't be seen in these hallowed fora.

Visit a centre near you on a busy day if you don't believe me. Get an appreciation for what we do downstairs.

Oh, and one other thing; when you leave Muscat airspace heading for Mumbai, it's procedural airspace. You can expect to be Mach numbered a significant proportion of times due to the massive rise in aircraft over the last three years (currently averaging 1065 flights per day; someone told me that that figure compares rather well to North Atlantic traffic) If you want similar flight levels, and you all do, you have to live with speed restrictions.

spelling

Last edited by ATCO1962; 6th Jun 2010 at 14:46.