PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vacancy for tug pilot - unpaid.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2010, 08:42
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading this thread for the first time!

When I started flying at Booker Gliding Club in 1983, the Tug Pilot was the most highly respected and necessary person on site! No airtow, no glider flight! As I slowly climbed the tree of proficiency, first solo, first cross country, silver badge, PPL with concessions for gliding, i yearned for that respect, got my tail dragger conversion at Clacton on Sea, and began flying the l80 Super Cub, first with an instructor perched on cushions behind me so he could see what I was doing, then alone. Then with Dave Watt (now CFI at Windrushers) who was Booker Tugmaster at the time, in addition to flying for BA.

Do a landing, said Dave. So I did. Now do a half flap landing. So I did.
Now do a no flap landing, so I did, and at the end of the roll, just like a glider, the Cub put one wing on the ground! The undercarriage had fractured. "That wasn't your fault, Mary" he said, kindly.

Club manager said "Why couldn't you have crashed it properly so we could have claimed on the insurance!?"

Anyway, I did end up doing some tugging at Booker, and now am tugmaster at a small gliding club, nearly all volunteer labour here! (love the prestige of that title, LOVE tugging gliders and doing lots of takeoffs, knowing the glider pilot will be pleased if I find him a good thermal which I know how to do because I am a glider pilot with 1,800 hours in gliders, and 1,400 in power,mostly tugging. Alas, too old to qualify for a paid flying job. How can ANYBODY think you needed to be paid to have the most fun doing the most important job on an airfield?