PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 5th Jun 2010, 16:31
Doh Nuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few stories emerging of VCC getting hassle off CC while operating during the strike period. It would appear a number of pro BASSA CC have crossed the picket line due to financial reasons and are anti VCC.
Hello - long time reader, first time poster here and as a ground VCC, there's been anti-VCC sentiment throughout the whole period, with some VCC being more unfortunate than others. Having said that, I've been incredibly lucky with my crews so far and thank you for all the professionalism I've encountered and fantastic team work. Whether it's been non-striking crew, crew who have said they don't agree with what VCC are doing but we are one team on board or crew who have or will be going on strike, I've encountered the kind of dedication to our customers that make me proud of the majority of our cabin crew.

Both the pilot volunteers and the operating flight deck have all been supportive and I hope that this dispute will be over soon.

My main concerns have been how sick with worry non-striking crew have been at encountering strikers, which is sad. As others on this site have mentioned before, we respect their right to strike - it would be good for people who choose to work not to worry about any sort of retribution from their colleagues from what appears to be a minority.

It's been eye-opening to be a VCC and I can honestly say that I had no idea just how much the job entailed before doing it, and while I might agree that it isn't rocket science, it is hard work and it is tiring and I don't envy the lifestyle.

Anyway, thank you to the fantastic crew who have been operating with us VCC - I hope I get another brilliant lot next trip but am steeling myself for the worst, as always... I have no idea how this will end but it can't go on indefinitely as our customers don't have endless patience, in my opinion.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to say thank you to the crews I've flown with and to the customers who are staying with us during this difficult time. I know VCCs are an easy target to blame for people who believe in the strike but a view from my side is that, having been to the colleague forums, I honestly don't think that Willie offered a bad deal or would have simply caved on this matter, and VCCs help expand the flying programme and help to keep the goodwill of our customers, so that by the time this dispute is over, perhaps we'll still have some customers willing to fly with us.

And as to the comments about who's doing our jobs while we're flying... I can't speak for everyone but some of us are maintaining both roles. Am I worried about my job? Yes, but not because of my absence highlighting the lack of necessity of my job. I'm worried because I don't think an airline which has such a bad track record for strikes can be a viable option for customers in the future. As for my role, my department has made so many voluntary redundancies in response to the downturn, I honestly don't think we can get rid of many more. A large number of us took unpaid leave and I think that period demonstrated that we would really struggle with any further reductions. Having said that, I think we're all steeling ourselves for the possibility of a request for further periods of unpaid leave/work in response to this strike. Hopefully it won't happen and hopefully this will all come to an end sooner rather than later.

These views are all mine and not my employer's