PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resigned
Thread: Resigned
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2010, 11:01
northern boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can delude yourselves as much as you want, and if I was 130K in debt with no job I would indulge in a bit of fantasy myself.

The whole shebang is in deep doo doo. Even in good times the industry operated on tiny profit margins and carriers went bust faster than my other half can spend money. We are in a structural debt crisis unlike anything in modern times. On top of that, energy prices are getting higher and will rocket at the first sign of a meaningful recovery. The banks are trashed and are still not lending even after a trillion dollar bailout. Housing is in the doldrums and in the UK alone we are looking at tax and VAT increases. There are worrying signs that the Eurozone is about to slide back into recession.

When folk are on their uppers and have to choose between food or foreign holidays then guess which gets dropped. When companies have to slash their costs, there goes the premium airline travel. The low cost bods are desperately selling scratch cards and charging moronic little mugs tens of thousands of pounds for a few weeks playing pilot but sooner or later that
will stop, they have to pay the same fuel and maintenance bills as everyone else and the cash will run out. That goes for BA as much as Ryanair and whichever North African whorehouse has jumped on the PTF bandwagon recently. Yes people will still travel but discretionary air travel is going to get a lot less. After all people traveled in the days before cheap flights, they just took longer or did less of it. I take no pleasure in saying this but that is the new reality.

I would strongly advise that those wanabees with more than a couple of brain cells to rub together get qualified in something that actually has a future. Power transmission or energy production spring to mind. Or be a doctor or an undertaker. No slackening of demand there.

The PTF mugs are beyond redemption. I would be reluctant to employ anyone displaying such a profound lack of common sense or with such a shaky grasp of reality.