PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Hiring.... Cadets?!?!
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2010, 08:19
eocvictim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, from what I have observed, the selection process for airline cadet programmes tends to be based heavily on how strong the bank account is that is funding the training...

A quick look at any of the flying school car parks will reinforce this.

The thing I find interesting, though, is that the rise of these schemes may cause airline flying (in the flavour of QF / VB / J*) to no longer be the "pinnacle" of civilian flying, rather it may become a separate and independant discipline that is normally entered at the very start of the career.

How many other pilots in the top end of GA now see "airlines" as a step sideways (or down ignoring the meagre pay rise)?

However, and I quote "QantasLink has an agreement with Qantas Airlines for progression into "Qantas mainline". As a guide, under this agreement pilots are required to be employed for a minimum period of 2 years with QantasLink prior to applying for a position on a heavy jet within Qantas Airlines."

How many people have actually successfully done this? Everyone I know who was in Qlink gave up and went to VB.

REX, cathay or Jetstar??! Or the airforce??
So honestly which one if you were 21, just out a uni and only have a GFPT, would you go for???

Well if the whole point is to avoid GA forget Rex; you're probably (not 100%) too old for airforce and face it, you're locked in for 13 years thats not what you want if you want a airline gig. Jetstar cadet program? Well if I said to you could have a job flying a Jet for free; however, you wont get paid for 5-8 years, oh and you're not allowed to earn an alternative living, would you reconsider the offer?