PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2010, 00:59
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I am on TR's ignore list, I think I had better repost my #6488 regarding the confidence of Mr Holbrook's judgement:
<<TandemRotor wrote
<<Mr Holbrook (the yachtsman) was/is an instrument maker by trade, and was extraordinarily measured in his assessments. Extremely persuasive in the witness box at the FAI. >>
BUT the judgement of the height of aircraft height and speed is difficult, especially an unfamiliar a/c against a backdrop of grey sky.
Select committee
70. Mr Holbrook explained to us that he had repeatedly but unsuccessfully asked to see photographs of a Chinook at different heights and ranges, in order the better to estimate the height and speed of the aircraft when he saw it. He clearly felt that he would have been in a better position to assist the Board had he been furnished with such information. We do not know why the Board did not accede to his request or afford him the opportunity of seeing a Chinook in flight. >>

Why the hell they would have slowed down in the area the yachtsman saw them anyway ? - were they supposed to be in difficulty there and yet carried on course a couple of miles further?!!!!

Robin

Miller” or “Mitchell”?
Try plotting the track from one of the positions that you think they started from at or near Aldergrove to the position where they changed the waypoint; then plot the track from the position of waypoint change to the position of first impact. The difference in this track angle suggests a turn at or near the position of waypoint change.
Not only is this substantial but it also happens to fit with what was found on the HP's HoSI course selector, the instrument he would have been steering by.
Now you wrote <<..they were navigating using the GPS source....... >> - not after the change of the waypoint in the SuperTANS they weren't – as I explained previously, at their speed comparing raw GPS from the SuperTANS CDU with a map of any sort would not have been practical.

ALL
Why not go as a group up to the Mull this week and charter a small boat - stand off the Mull in the early evening and see what it would have been like - you'd be unlucky to not get it the same as those conditions were prevalent at that time of day, at that time of year. with a southerly blowing. Ask the skipper to tell you how far off you are with his radar - at several distances - you can see it but judgement of range is very difficult in those conditions.

Last edited by walter kennedy; 5th Jun 2010 at 01:02. Reason: format