PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 4th Jun 2010, 15:56
WeLieInTheShadows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading some of the past postings I have to agree that some posters are at the far right or left of this situation, and their views and posts reflect this (and subsequently refuse to see anything else but THEIR VIEW on it).

Take a step back people.

As to the point of the % voting to strike. The ballot took place way back in the time line, as did the show of hand motions at meetings etc etc. So when the train started coming off the tracks (with the drivers shouting FULL STEAM AHEAD!) further down the line, you can't blame those who chose to get on it jump off and take their chances. So this I believe explains the votes vs strikers issue.

For what it's worth here's my view on it......

To begin with I think BA had a plan, but was willing to see if BASSA would see sense. The hope being they would think....."Ok change needed, lets accept some change now. Be involved. Limit damage to our members".

BA did however bet on the fact that BASSA would say NO NO NO. They were not dissapointed. Thus BA led BASSA through the hoops, and BASSA followed willingly saying NO NO NO. They could have suprised us all, but they didn't.

BA again knew this would happen, planned for it, flow chart followed accordingly. I really think BA would have accepted a far better deal for crew than what is being offered now. They also are not that unhappy with the way things have gone. As the other side of the coin involved what we are seeing now, the destruction of BASSA as a union, and it's leaders. Once BA realised early on that a reasonable solution was not going to be forthcoming, the "destroy BASSA" button was pushed, and the negotiation style changed.

The ones that have lost out are of course the customers and the crew communtiy.

The ones that are following BASSA blindly, are now not going to be on the winning side. The scales have tipped too far, and will not go back the other way now. Rightly or wrongly. Walsh will finish the job. He's gone this far. He will cut off the head of the his "beast" so it will not return to cause trouble again. Leaving BASSA wounded risks a return of this situation again.

The temps in the hold pool are being brought to LGW next month, followed by new entrants after. Read into this what you will. But I'd guess new fleet is on it way (and quick) and LGW crew will be a big part of the setup. Secondments etc etc.

There's a big bit or your remaining 20% of your LH schedule.

LGW crew will do rest day working, and jump at the opportunity to do LHR LH work.

BA recruited a large number or crew relatively quickly to backfill WWLGW crew (800+). No reason they can't do this again. Especially with a load of temps that need next to no training to get them back on a BA aircraft. Add in to this people form other airlines with experience that can do "reduced courses" to get them out on line quickly. We have also seen how quickly they can get CAA approved crew out on line if needed (VCC).

So 5 week training courses may not be what we will see.

As has been said before. Sack a few militants, swallow the Unfair dismissal money when the cases come about. Watch the others come back to work. If they don't....sack them too. I think that is where we are.

I think the end game is near. There will be no prisoners.