PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to IFR
Thread: VFR to IFR
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2010, 15:47
Barnaby the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is why it is alway worth knowing what you are asking for - as you may receive it
Exactly.

mm_flynn you managed to get that across better than me

I was not aware that you could fly a procedure without AT ensuring IFR seperation? Are you suggesting if the ATCO "assumes" you are VFR he is entitled to apply different seperation standards?
You can fly a procedure under VFR or IFR. Under a Procedural Service you will be provided with the same Procedural separation minima from other known Procedural traffic participating, whether or not you are IFR or VFR.
There nothing to stop you flying a Procedural approach under a Basic service, but don't expect standard procedural separation minima to be applied. Traffic info. will be passed to you (hopefully) and you may be asked to keep maintain a level etc. or arrive at the facility at a given time for co-ordination to protect anyone using the facility already. But standard deconfliction minima between Basic and Procedural traffic doe's not have to be applied.

However if a pilot did inform me they were requesting a procedural ILS, and they were on a Basic Service, I would ask them confirm if they are requesting an upgrade to a Procedural service.
It is upto the pilot to do this, but as we have seen from a previous answer, not everyone knows what they will get with each service.

I was not joking when I said ATCO's never assume anything (at least they shouldn't) .