PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust lever guarding after take-off
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2010, 14:30
Meikleour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Divinehover

I think you are missing the point of my post. Firstly, forget about moving throttles which may or may not move on their own. Airbus Thrust Levers are essentially electrical limit switches. You say that the thrust levers are `yours` as PF - well most companies have minimum heights, typically 400`aal before emergency drills are commenced. My concern is that when quizzed as to why these guys are grabbing the levers a few seconds after I have just removed my own hand to prevent any unwanted involuntary actions - they usually say that it is so that they can apply TOGA if there is an engine failure. Well, if you get an overtemp. on the EGT, high vibs, over N1 or a surging engine (with or without a birdstrike) then the application of TOGA thrust could be very bad news indeed especially when close to the ground., There is no rush for the selection of TOGA with an engine failure but TOGA may make an engine surge much worse and remember that a surge usually also means a temporary loss of thrust!!