PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2010, 13:15
Robin Clark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Walter.........
...I am not sure that I understand any part of your post 6518........
..but.......
..the respected Mr J. Mitchell from Boeing states that there was a turn made nearly three degrees on to 022 true..

it was also right of its original course
from the ATC fix to Waypoint A.
The bearing from Waypoint Change to Last Steering Command is 22.22 degrees True,
which indicates that the route of the aircraft is ~3 degrees right of the initial route

...(this does assume they were flying a track of 19.5T towards the light house)
..checking my calc. and plotting it different ways , the most I can make it is one degree...and even that depends on how you round up/down fractions of one degree........
..they were navigating using the GPS source.......
..plotting all the GPS locations from the RACAL report , Aldergrove , waypoint change , last steering update , powerdown and the last unprocessed location from the Trimble GPS itself......you can see that they are all in a straight line.....
You think they turned much further..????????.....
..there was a sensor in the fuselage which reports the orientation in all three axes...and this did show some wild variations..........but I think you will agree that the direction in which the fuselage is pointing is not a reliable guide to which way the A/C is travelling , especially in a helicopter...
This does actually support my suggestion that they hit the ground briefly some time earlier and there were some wild gyrations before the main impact.... link ........
rgds Robin..

Last edited by Robin Clark; 13th Jun 2010 at 21:17. Reason: name corrected..