PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - decent radio to listen to atc?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2010, 12:45
B314

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD, thanks for your reply and before I respond allow me to clarify that I'm not being argumentative on this point (it may appear so from my original post) but merely adding a point of view.

I do accept, as you say that, as the law stands at present, I am breaking it by listening to ATC transmissions. I own a Maycom AR 108 scanner capable of receiving transmissions between 108 and 180 Mhz. This receiver is legally available in this country through a number of outlets.

According to Ofcom: "It is not illegal to sell, buy or own a scanner or any other receiver but it should only be used to listen to transmissions meant for general reception. The services that can be listened to under the definition of general reception are:
  1. licensed broadcasting stations;
  2. amateur and citizens' band radio transmissions; and
  3. weather and navigation transmissions"
To my knowledge none of the above broadcast within that range. Therefore as I see it I am at liberty to purchase the unit but really shouldn't switch it on! Perhaps more stringent controls are required to authorise the manufacture in this country and the importation from overseas of such scanners to ensure that only 'legal' sections of the FM band between 30 and 951 MHz are featured in the receivers, and the permitted frequencies available on units to authorised personnel only, no doubt opening a very big can of administrative and procedural worms in the process.

In time a TETRA style ATC system will no doubt come into being if for no other reason than for increased aviation security and as a result of progress. In the meantime it may be easier to argue for a further review of the Ofcom ruling, but that would take years and may be resolved to eveyone's liking. As for me I won't publicise, act on or undertake any actions as a result of listening to what I find extremly interesting and educational, whilst accepting that, yes, I'm technically breaking the law.

B314