PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2010, 11:59
Charlie Roy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If we were not in recession some of these would be possible but not yet and maybe a smaller type is needed eg Q400 or Embraer 170/190.
I totally agree, for many of the routes I mentioned I was getting a bit carried away. Aer Lingus' big A320's and a lack of code-sharing at the mentioned destinations would diminish how potentially successful these routes could be.
Budapest (Malev), Frankfurt (Lufthansa), Zurich (Swiss), Riga (airBaltic), Prague (CSA), Brussels (Brussels Airlines) could have a better chance with other native carriers, what with their smaller aircraft and the offering of onward connections. But I doubt any of these airlines ever spare a thought for Cork, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

On the subject of Cork to Brussels, (my favourite subject), there has never been a better time to (re)introduce this route:
- Ryanair have cancelled Shannon to Charleroi (was 3x weekly).
- Ryanair have reduce Dublin to Charleroi from 13x weekly to 7x weekly.
- This leaves Aer Lingus on Dublin to Brussels 13x weekly.

Since Ryanair's reductions, from Aer Lingus' 13x weekly flights (twice daily except Saturdays), 3 or 4 get upgraded to an A321. Almost half the flights get 100% load factor, often being booked out days in advance, even after being upgraded to an A321 only 3 weeks beforehand. In general all flights get a very healthy load factor (an average above 90% is almost certain).
I invite you to so some fictious bookings on Dublin to Brussels for the coming weeks. You will notice sold out flights, and many many oneway fares (before taxes etc) of 200+ euros 90 minute flight.
Also since Ryanair's reduction of capacity between Ireland and Belgium, Aer Lingus fares on Cork - Paris/Amsterdam have noticably increased. Already a lot of those needing to travel between Belgium and Cork had been using this solution, but now more than ever.

I've used Charleroi to Shannon/Dublin and Brussels to Dublin regularly over the last decade and the amount people with a final destination in Cork or Kerry is staggering.