PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 4th Jun 2010, 10:40
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 Days to go until the 12th. I have now heard rumours well beyond the company that 12th June will be a P45 date for remaining obstinate strikers. Personally, I don't think it is feasible or desirable to do so - the CRM implications are too serious in my opinion. It is a pity that every other group is cheering on potential sackings; however, it goes to show the complete lack of support there is among other employee groups, retired crew and competitor crews.

The union continues to retort that everyone else should mind their own business. £100m later in costs makes that attitude completely untenable, given the pension scheme and continuing global economic problems.

Of course, if engagement had taken place 18 months ago, BA could be taking advantage of the misery at other airlines, and growing for the future. Look now at what that short-sighted union leadership has produced.

JO and WWW should be ignored - they are clearly Duncan or some other BASSA senior flag-waver in disguise. I take the total lack of engagement as a strong indication of the union's level of maturity in negotiations with the company.

Time to sack your reps, or join another union with level-headed leadership.

My opinion on what will happen? Obstinate strikers will be de-rostered (like shorthaul CSDs) and "managed" out of the company. Easier route to take than the PR disaster that sackings would produce. I'd do it in two stages. Worldwide crews first - keep the profitable routes flying with new fleet and VCCs. Turn to shorthaul in the new year.

Last edited by Re-Heat; 4th Jun 2010 at 23:41.