PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to IFR
Thread: VFR to IFR
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2010, 07:56
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's fine, but what difference are you expecting from the ATCO if you declare you are now IFR, but still on a Basic service and do not request a surveillance service or procedural service (from non radar units) by declaring that?
I am not expecting any difference. I am hoping that any other relevant IFR traffic will be "called" as will any other IFR traffic call the controller. I can think of numerous occasions when IFR traffic has been called over a particular beacon and I have been in the vicinity. If they are at the same level and a conflict possible I will adjust my level. I just dont get this business of saying nothing - it takes seconds to announce where you are, what you are doing and if you are IFR. As I said previously with TAS I dont really care whether you do or not but please make sure you keep your trasponder on.

As for flying a Procedural approach ATCO's never assume anything
I was not aware that you could fly a procedure without AT ensuring IFR seperation? Are you suggesting if the ATCO "assumes" you are VFR he is entitled to apply different seperation standards?