PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2010, 07:15
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As is so often the case, TC hits the nail on the head typing, with more experience than most, of the job, aircraft, individuals & politics involved.

Actually, Tigerfish, whilst I agree with most of your posts, from your latest one, I suggest the Police are more often part of the problem - too many petty attitudes towards "their own patch" to realise that their next-door-neighbour's being burgled whilst they're on the other side of the fence - metaphorically & literally! In some areas different forces actually talk to, and work with, their neighbours, either in a formal or less formal manner, but both offering a service when one force would recieve none, if their aircraft was down for maintenance, and sometimes when one is rushed off its feet & the other's at a loose end!

There are efficiencies to be made but, if they include re-locating in the current threat environment it will be frighteningly expensive, I predict. As I've also previously posted, moving bases on the grounds that a 25 min service is as acceptable as a 15 min one, will make for very uneven provision in numerous areas - although why D&C are at one end of their huge patch, I've never understood!

Those who continue to advocate significantly lesser-equipped aircraft, or believe that the Police can "change CAA policy" on operations in marginal weather at night, really need to smell the roses. It's not been the Police who've insisted on the latest crop of SPIFR machines being rushed in - in fact many of the forces were more than happy with thier old cabs - it was the CAA & lawyers worried about litigation if the aircraft crashed ! ! !