PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2010, 21:09
ryan2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose the only infalliable sources are the people at the top of the airlines who make the decision to go with a new route and put their necks on the line. They often overule those that talk to our sources or simply reverse a decison due to changing circumstances.

There are so many competing influences and variables that it's impossible for any of us to get it right all of the time. Airlines frequently play airports off against each other before making a decision although I'm not for a moment suggesting that this is the case in relation to the EI 320 which will probably spend the winter on the ground in Dublin.

On the wider issue airlines should try and lessen their dependence on Irish people travelling to the sun . Surely EI and FR would be better off trying to develop routes that would promote inward business to Cork. Zurich, Frankfurt and Milan spring to mind. They would also get the marketing support of Tourism Ireland and others.

I don't wish to sound gloomy but there's no evidence that the worst of this downturn is over so don't be surprised if others cut back as well.