PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 3rd Jun 2010, 20:19
Hotel Mode
Junior trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its that time of day again.

Someones estimate was a bit off even this no doubt exagerrated guess.

We got a mention too. 90 mins though today.

Hi everyone

Well that was a surprise. The biggest ever, up-to-now turnout at Bedfont by a long way. I canvassed general opinion as to how many actually were there and the figure that most settled on was around 1500. Today I felt more like Harvey Goldsmith than Duncan Holley as the logistics and organisation of hosting what was, in the end, a major event were stretched to the limit, by the sheer mass of strikers and family present. Last night I was worried that the northwest girls would dominate proceedings - but today I didn’t even notice they were there...... Just joking, the ovation their bus got as it pulled in was magnificent - mind you there was a bigger ovation as it pulled out!!!.

And how about the overnight “party bus” from GLA, they texted me as they left late last evening - about half ten - and all night I tossed and turned as all I could dream about was a Scottish exocet missile heading in my direction. In the end, I think the “post early picket, free breakfast sleep” in the field did them all good, as they seemed a bit chirpier in the afternoon. What a sacrifice as tonight they head north in another overnight journey home. Finally while on the subject of long journey picketers - hello to the Devon posse, how I wish I was in Devon tonight.

The “academics”, one of whom had come down especially by train from Edinburgh, were very well received as was comedian Mark Steel who gave up his afternoon to give us his satirical view on our dispute. I think he was really glad he came.

No hard luck stories re commuters tonight - someone did tell me they were having trouble getting to work from the Easter Islands but thankfully they were winding me up. One snapshot of today did resonate, however and that was two little girls who were wearing t-shirts which proclaimed “I am the reason my Mummy is on strike”. Indeed they are! Thanks Mum!

So, one 5-day bloc left starting on Saturday - I keep saying this but again there were many first-timers there today, which is good because it proves the strike is still vibrant and supported as strongly as ever. BA were ringing people up today and offering them £100 and the trip of their choice to come to work - hardly the actions of an airline coping well with the situation.

Soon we will be re-balloting and starting all over again - which will give the trampled plants in the Bedfont flower garden, time to recover and the burger man to take a well earned break on his luxury yacht. Let’s make the last five days something to remember - hopefully we will be able to confirm a “star attraction” for Sunday, so keep the afternoon free. A clue to our guest? “There’s power in a Union” is a line from one of his songs.

Sorry this message is shorter than normal - hello to Ppprune or whatever it is called - I gather some sad person posts this on there 3 minutes after it goes live on our forum. Some people need to get to Bedfont and get a life!

See you Saturday - and a really big thank you to all who came today - I would not have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. Rgds Duncan