PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - decent radio to listen to atc?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2010, 14:33
TrafficPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipness One Echo said:

"the Yupiteru MVT-7100 which doesn't have great reception at all as it tries to do too much."

Don't quite understand what you mean can you elaborate?

I've used the 7100 for a few years now and it has excellent performance for an "early" handheld receiver. Sensitivity and selectivity is among the best I've seen. I use a home-made 1/4 wave antenna for airband mounted on the roof and a 20m long wire strung out down the garden for listening to HF.

Advice for anyone considering buying a handheld airband radio..

1) Buy a digital receiver with digital display (analog "elastic band" displays are pretty useless and only really work well if you're within a couple of miles of an airport).

2) Make sure it has a detachable antenna (preferably with a BNC connector).

3) Most airband receivers are susceptible to "noise" generated by televisions, computers, dodgy central heating systems etc so try and site the radio in the clear and if possible use an external antenna for best performance.

4) Make sure the radio has adjustable frequency "steps" (ie, 1,5,6.25,10 khz etc)

Hope this helps

And remember - Don't listen to any transmissions for which you don't possess a licence otherwise bad things could happen (and if you want to know which bad things...watch the movie SCANNERS)

Last edited by TrafficPilot; 3rd Jun 2010 at 15:46.