PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medium/Heavy Jet Landing Technique
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2010, 13:24
NGjockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medium/Heavy Jet Landing Technique

I was searching the archive on this topic, but I had to give up since there are more than 13000 threads in the Tech Log section alone!

What is the correct landing technique for medium/heavy jets regarding the speeds flown?

Aside from situations requiring speed increments (reported wind shear, thunderstorms, gusty winds and the likes) the correct speeds and technique should be Vref passing the threshold, then gradually reducing thrust to idle while maintaining pitch until pulling the nose up 1 - 2 degrees for the flare, resulting in a touchdown a few knots BELOW Vref (ideal touchdown speed according to a safety targeted awareness report from the ERA air safety work group should be Vref minus 7 knots).

There seems to be a common misconception spread among many pilots that they will "crash and burn" as soon as speed drops below Vref during flare. In fact, from those many "check speed" calls I have heard in my career when the needle slowly went below Vref after passing the threshold I assume that quite a large number of pilots have been and are still being taught a wrong landing technique.

Or was it ME who was taught the wrong way?

I appreciate your views on this really not so innocuous matter!