PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2010, 12:00
baggersup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
"Finally it was reported back that the USA steel workers have donated $100,000 to our cause. Don’t you just love them?" says Duncan.
I don't know about the $100K claim specifically, but the United Steelworkers of America and Unite signed an agreement in 2008 when Simpson visited one of their conventions in Las Vegas, forging them into a worldwide worker's union.

So they are part of the same international body, if you will.

If the USW gave money, it probably just means that Unite put a call out to all of their international partners who are now responding with some support.

But I wouldn't read too much into it. In my old company, any time there was a dispute in a brother/sister union somewhere, our company's union always sent financial support. The union sending the support did not necessarily have to agree with the dispute's goals. It's just standard op for unions.

I suspect the hard working steel workers, who know what a hard day's graft really is, wouldn't be terribly keen on supporting some rather fey people who live in sunny climes and commute thousands of miles to work, while their jobs are being sent to China. But that's just a guess!

It doesn't signfiy. Only to DH.