PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to IFR
Thread: VFR to IFR
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2010, 01:40
flyinghigh66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR to IFR

I have a couple of quick questions about switching from VFR to IFR rules that was never properly covered in my basic IR training.

Scenario 1 : Assuming that I am flying in uncontrolled airspace under VFR and have not filed a flight plan.
  • Is it acceptable to switch to IFR without informing anyone?
  • If I am in touch with LARS/FIS, what radio call should I make to them to advise them I am changing from VFR to IFR/IMC?
Scenario 2 : I am flying VFR in uncontrolled airspace and want to come back into an ATZ for an instrument approach (perhaps to practice IFR procedures, or perhaps because cloudbase has reduced and I need to complete an IFR approach).
  • Before reaching the ATZ I assume that I must change from VFR to IFR. What information should I pass on joining? Is it as simple as a standard joining calling along the lines of "Norwich Tower, G-ABCD, IFR, inbound 10nm from the North, 2000ft, request procedural ILS"?
If anyone else has other scenarios where they are uncertain of what they would do, I would love to know and also would be interested in others comments.