PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 14:46
Snas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once sackings become ‘legal’ they can be as selective as they like, without having to justify why striker X got pushed off the parapet while striker Y got passed by.
Really (genuine, not a rhetorical question)?
No, not really. An employer can be called to justify any employee dismissial after the fact and if the reason isnt sound it can cost the employer accordingly.

However, the bottom line is that (and this really is my area as an employer of over 3,000) you can sack who you like, when you like, accepting that it may cost you a few bob. Unless you are foolish enough to bring disability, race etc into the mix a few bob is all that it costs you, financially at least.

BUT, I'll quickly state that I dont behave like that as an employer, and (alas possibly) neither do BA from what I have observed.

Me, I think that BA may well commence proceedings against some, but for simply striking I dont think so. For behaving like a co*k whilst on strike perhaps, creating silly web site and all that jazz - simply for striking, again I doubt it.

Semp66 - To the best of my knowledge none of the people you saw in your vid clip were BA cabin crew, I have certainly seen no evidence to even suggest such was the case. For the most part they were SWP demo types and had invaded a private meeting. You know, a good ol' fashioned demo and sit-in sort of thing - however misguided in this case I'm all in favour of a good demo when it is needed.

Last edited by Snas; 2nd Jun 2010 at 14:58.