PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to Ukraine
Thread: VFR to Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 12:27
Blue Albatross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kero,

Not sure if anyone metioned this to you already, (I couldn't find it on the other porsts) but please note that unless you plan to fly IFR, you will need a Qualified Russian Speaking navigator. The fact that your wife speaks Russian is beside the point, they need an actual qualified Navigator to fly with you if you intend to fly VFR in Ukraine.

Also, please be aware that flight planning in Ukraine will mean having to fly along the airways routes as you cannot flight direct and fly off airways as it were.

And lastly, make sure there is some way of locking your aircraft and the fuel hatches as it's notorious to have avionics and fuel stolen fro the aircraft when they are parked up for a few days. And off course security will not know/be bothered to do anything about it.

My advice is to simply fly Wizzair to Odessa and back because when I flew in Ukraine is was too much hassle, too damned expensive and I was sick and tired of having empty tanks (thanks to their siphoning efforts) if I had any drop of fuel left upon parking!!