PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funny Things Happen in The Air Force
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 09:23
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in the late 80s/early 90s I was a Trustee of the Red Arrows Trust. A former RA Manager had trademarked various designs based on the team's formations, and the Trust licensed these to manufacturers for a fee, which went to charity. Someone suggested a RA teddy bear, red suit, white helmet and all. My son Will was then 2 or so, so got the job of Intensive Teddy Bear Trials Unit. Around that time the Team was coming up to its 25th anniversary, but the RAF was not prepared (financial constraints even then) to mark the occasion with an official event, so the Trust and the Team organised a one-off. "teams only" event at Scampton. Most of the European teams came for the day, and the Reds finished the day off. In the course of the event, with my in-laws and Will we came across the then Manager, a very serious officer, and dresed in his red flying suit. Will, never one to hang back (then or now at almost 22) grabbed the front of the Mange's red suit, saying - my teddy's got "one of those" - never quite sure if Will (being not much over 2 and quite little) got a handful of suit, or something more sensitive, but it went VERY quite for a second or two.

PS: That teddy bear, still in his red suit, is now living in Copenghagen with my grandson, and last year at Copenhagen Airshow met the current RAFAT Manager. Elliot is still talking about the red aeroplanes and the man in the red suit.