PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 09:13
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The greaphic still bothers me as being wrong due to a false asumption.

The projected line of descent follows the terrain very close, especially in the final moments, because it is derived from the asumption, that the callouts are RA. I´ve flown fast jets, even with those it would not be possible to follow the terrain in that kind of exact way as is suggested in the grapic even in landing configuration at 150 kts. You would always be behind. In an approach in bad weather no sound crew would follow a radar altimeter in that way, the necessary changes would be too big and the approach would be totally unstable. And it would show on the graphic with at least a 5 sec. delay, until the stick- and power changes would change the flight path.

Therefore i looked in that altitude thing again and i´m wondering, what this pressure altitude call with the number 745 could be. Its not hPa, its not mbar, it could be TORR (the standard atmosphere in torr would be 760). Am i somehow wrong? There was only one time talking about "airpressure 745" at time 10:24:49,2, at that time being still way up and for sure not yet ready to change for QFE setting. Later on nothing.

Did they really had the correct altimeter setup?

franzl