PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Limiting Factors For Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2010, 23:54
john_tullamarine

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts
the new OEI strategy is to make an early turn to avoid them and to fly through the "saddle".

Generally there are multiple ways to fix the departure problem .. the aim being to end up with a compromise between sensible flight standards and making a dollar by optimising the payload.

this can't be engaged unless the PNF made several key strokes into the FMGC just as the work load peaked.

Crew workload, naturally enough, is part of the flight standards consideration. In my view the desirable option for a difficult runway is to make the AEO and OEI flight paths the same so that the workload is reduced ...

So it's still down to crew's prioritisation of the tasks and intelligent use of the equipment.

That's an operator cop out for something as important as escape procedures. In my view the operator should be prescribing the way the crew is to address the problem. It is quite unreasonable (and leads, potentially, to a significant standardisation problem) to load the crew up with decisions that are not properly in their basket. The crew should be flying it, not planning the escape.

rather starting a mile or two beyond the DER

.. where the 300 ft is overtaken by the expanding splay ..

Non-normal (engine inoperative) departure procedures

This remains the sticking point for me as the question of pilot skill level remains unanswered for the more critical failure cases. The problems associated with the evident skill reduction across the Industry is a bit of a worry if we are going to have the hard bits come in a bit closer to the notional escape path ? .. albeit that the close in areas remain unchanged. In respect to the latter, I think that the sim history suggests some concern anyway.