PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2010, 22:50
RoyHudd

I Have Control

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Libyan aviation

Aterpster is correct. The navaids at TIP (and BEN) have not been improved since their shocking state when I first flew from these poorly-maintained airfields in 2000. 10 years ago. Even the damned windsocks were torn and u/s, so no accurate wind readings were given. (Anemometer? No chance). I had the rotten luck of flying as a contractor to the state airline.

As for investment in the infrastructure....standard third world. I still face it now in the Caribbean and it is hardly better in Greek and Turkish airspace, not forgetting Tunisia and Morocco. Or Syria and most of the Middle East. And India. Archaic support for the Western fliers, who breathe a big sigh of relief when entering civilized airspace.

The "Inshallah" culture predominates in the closed world of Libyan "Aviation". It is even said when estimates for waypoints/beacons are given by local carriers. Hence the apalling safety record. Many of the guys are incompetent, both in the aircraft and in the control towers and radar centres. You have to have experience there to be able to say so.