PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Hiring.... Cadets?!?!
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2010, 21:59
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having experience helping with similar cadet programmes in the UK, I can tell you that these cadets are a win/win for Jetstar. After the salary sacrifice over 6 years I can almost guarantee that Jetstar will end up having made money from this deal. The way it used to work in the UK is the airline would get a significant discount on buying the bulk training off the provider, the cadet pays the out of the brouchure price for the training and then salary sacrifices a significant proportion of the FO pay for a few years. I see that Jetstar is going to bond the cadet for 6 years. Jetstar gains a guaranteed flow of pilots into the right hand seat who effectively are 'trapped' for 6 years during which they will no doubt be eligible for upgrade to command, also on a reduced wage. The upside for the cadet is a career path without having to p*ss around in GA, no matter what anyone says (having flown with many 200 hour jet pilots) these cadets will make fine airline pilots. Interesting times ahead, it is about time this part of the world caught up.