PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 1st Jun 2010, 19:57
Hotel Mode
Junior trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your wish is my command Churchy

I think this will be the only bulletin from Bedfont today as my other colleagues are stashed away in a secret location as I type, waiting upon the outcome of today's meeting between Woodley and Walsh. That meeting commenced at 16:30 - it could go on late into the night.

The rain and threatening clouds made today's gathering at BFC a more intimate affair as pickets huddled under umbrellas, chat replacing the chanting. And, as usual when crew gather there was lots of gossip.

While at Hatton Cross (and having eventually shrugged off the attentions of a particularly intense SWP worker) I heard of an Italian striking commuter who lives on the West Coast of the USA. To come to work on Saturday she paid full fare on AA. Once on board she was in ECY until the AA crew found out who she was. They upgraded her to First. The Captain then heard about her lost staff travel and has now put her on his concessions for the forseeable future.

Later, over a particularly greasy - but tasty - burger (I now ration myself to one a week and today was the day) I met a girl who lives in Stornaway. When she used to come to work she caught a plane from Stornaway to GLA and then connected to London. Now she catches the 7am ferry to Ullapool - which takes 2 hours, after an hour wait she then catches a bus to Inverness which takes about an hour. She then pays full fare for a flight to LGW and then buses and trains it to LHR eventually arriving about 6pm. She was reluctant to tell me her story because she reckons others make bigger sacrifices and, maybe she is right, but it just goes to show the hardship some crew are prepared to endure while others go to work solely so they can have a cheap holiday. No wonder there is anger out there!

The other excitement of the day came when someone - it wasn't Willie - threw a bottle at the open top bus near the Waggoners pub, which smashed but caused no one any harm. The police were called and those on the bus that saw the incident were asked to give a description of the culprit. Only a crew member could come up with "he wore burgundy overalls".

So talks - as I said at the beggining - are ongoing tonight. The good news is that Nigel and Co are on hand to "advise" Tony Woodley. In the meantime it is business as usual for the next 2 days at least.

I mentioned the academics coming on Thursday to show their support and there is a good chance Mark Steel, the comedian will also be there on Thursday to say a few words. Finally Louise was in contact with Billy Bragg last night and fingers crossed he will pitch up Sunday afternoon to play a few songs.

As for me - its now turning into a bit of a blur as each day blends into one. Thanks to Bev for the especially commissioned XXXX mug, thanks to all the behind the scenes helpers and to all the early morning free breakfast brigade. My breakfast bill this morning was nearly £500! Same again tomorrow for those there between 8am and 10am - bring your sun tan cream I have a feeling temperatures will be rising in and out of the marquee.

I don't think there will be any real news from the secret location talks (just had a text at 18:48 to say nothing happening), but if there is - and I am still reasonably sober - I will post it on the news page - otherwise see you in the morning.

Rgds Duncan