PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad NOTAMS
Thread: iPad NOTAMS
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2010, 19:45
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Apple Store is still listing the expected ship date for my iPad as simply 'June' - fingers crossed it doesn't slip into 'July'.

In the interim, I've fettled with the CSS of my original iPhone web-app delivering a 48-Hour Warning and Restriction NOTAMs for EGTT and EGPX (UK 48-Hour NOTAMs for iPhone and Android ) for what I anticipate will be an appropriate form for the iPad, but without an example to test against it is still an experimental release:

Point your iPad browser at

UK 48 Hour NOTAMS for iPad - demo

...and I'd be keen to hear the results - particularly if adding a link to the web-app to the home screen will allow it to run in full-screen mode as per the iPhone.

Obviously, its a simple translation of the iPhone menu-driven app to a larger screen factor (the 640x640 map tile size is the largest Google Static Maps will reliably support at the moment) - once I get my hands on the real thing, I intend a presentation which will take full advantage of the larger screen area, as well as taking advantage of the offline facilities available in HTML5 to allow the app to operate without a network connection - probably something resembling the current Google Maps V2 presentation (UK 48-Hour Notams : Warnings and Restrictions) but recoded for Google Maps V3 (V2 maps perform very poorly on mobile browsers).

If anyone has one of the new Android tablets, I'd also be keen on seeing how the app behaves on those as well - the codebase for the iPhone and Android app is common (or will be, once Google Gears goes away), the porting exercise is largely just an exercise in tweaking the stylesheet.