PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Places to visit in Ireland
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2010, 18:04
Duchess_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a touring holiday around Ireland in 2003 - in a 182 which needs a little less space than you stated, and as has already been pointed out would mean the Aran Islands wouldn't be possible.

The route is as follows....with night stops being annotated with *

Waterford*
Cork*
Shannon*
Innishsheer
Innishmaer
Innishmore
Conemara*
Galway*
Abeyshrule
Weston* (For Dublin)

Always double check ahead to make sure that where you're going has fuel available. Nearly got caught out by planning to go somewhere they said they had fuel only to discover by NOTAM than 100LL wasn't available.

Can't comment on prices now, but back then they were reasonable. (Including Galway). Accomodation wise, nothing was booked in advance. While I sorted out the aeroplane and paid fees, Mrs Duchess got the guidebook out and sorted out the accomodation. In August, I think the only place we didn't get our first choice was in Dublin - but what we ended up with was very nice anyway.

IIRC, you are required to file a plan for every flight in Ireland, though this is usually very simple to do with a phone call.

All the times I've been I've found the controllers and airfield staff very helpful and courteous.

Had a great time. You'll love every minute of it.