PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things turning around in the EU/UAE???
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2010, 16:31
northern boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lrjetcap.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Most of the contract jobs you see nowadays are in the Mid/Far East. Permanent jobs, over here at any rate are non existent. Even part time gigs are reserved for those willing to pay.

Hopefully, Europe will follow the US. The industry is well known for it's cycles but given the structural problems both in aviation and the wider European economies, I still maintain that any recovery will be fragile and temporary. The business might just see me to retirement, although at much reduced remuneration and probably incorporating some form of part time or seasonal element, but I would not want to be starting out with a massive debt and any kind of hopes for a 30 year career now.

On the other hand, maybe some smart little graduate in Shanghai or Dehli is cooking up an alternative to oil right now. It is unlikely to come from the West since no one does engineering or science any more and even if it did, the idea would be howled down by the greenies and taxed out of existence by governments who have finally run out of other people's money to pee up the wall. Anyone under 30 should emigrate and fast. I would but I'm 107.