PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2010, 08:13
peuce

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
After a brief reading of the NFC, a few observations pop into my mind:

4.3 CASA intends to follow through with the proposal to apply common standard procedures for all Class D aerodromes; be they former GAAP or original Class D. CASA believes there will be a positive safety and operational efficiency outcome from this decision by virtue of standardisation and fewer variations in operating procedures between different locations.
Just like their standardisation policy at Avalon and BRM/KTA Class E Airspaces

Based on statistics from the time (ed: when 500ft from cloud was required), GAAP aerodromes handled as many if not more aircraft than is currently the case. This seems to imply that changed VMC criteria does not automatically imply a reduced operational throughput at former GAAP aerodromes.
That could not possibly be due to changes in GA activity or economic times?

Under the proposed change, ATC response could (but not always) be as simple as instructing the pilot to report at a particular location. The proposal does not eliminate the availability of the traditional method where indicated, but provides an abbreviated clearance option for use where there exists mutual pilot-ATC understanding of a proposed course of action.
Maybe I'm just slow, but I can see the potential for misunderstandings and ambiguities. Have I just got a clearance? Should I wait for a full one?
Why can't they bite the bullet and just say " a clearance shall be assumed to be received when a Class D Tower Controller provides you with an onwards instruction"... fullstop. They always want to have 50c each way.

....to provide pilots with greater operational flexibility by allowing aircraft to approach a Class D aerodrome from any direction rather than having to approach via a particular point which may require the pilot to deviate off the direct track. The option exists for ATC to dictate a particular arrival route; however, CASA expects that this would only occur when actual traffic conditions dictate, rather than because it is the ‘standard way’.
Two issues ... (1) when will I know that I'm going to be re-directed back to an approach point ... when I have just navigated 10nm around to a more appropriate entry point for my operation?

(2) Fifty bucks it very quickly becomes the 'standard way'

I'm becoming too cynical, I know, and I hope it all works as planned. Time will tell.