PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2010, 00:03
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by protectthehornet
if you are in a difficult situation you must speak up. if no reaction say something like: captain, its now on the tape that your FO tried to get you to go around and if you **** up and kill us, everyone will sue YOUR ESTATE and take all of your things away from your family.

OR..CAPTAIN if you go around right now, I will be on your side at the inquiry...if you don't, I will move up on the seniority list when they FIRE YOUR ASS.

and if this doesn't work, push the throttles forward and keep them there...this will force the situation as things will get even WORSE and the captain will have to go around.

a cup of coffee in the face might help too.
Reminds me of something read recently in another report (referenced in Tripoli thread) http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/793232/ao2007044.pdf:

Although aware of the
requirement to alert the pilot flying of the continuing descent, the copilot was
momentarily unable to recall the correct phrase to be used
Be careful with that "push the throttles forward", "things will get even WORSE" may be an understatement - that "continuing descent" was on climb thrust at <100ft

I'm guessing that by then the "correct phrase" would be something a lot shorter involving "PULL UP" (and expletives, if time)... ?

[ note: I don't think that report is relevant for this incident, but it does make interesting reading - mode confusion, again... ]