PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whether or not to have a contact with a CAMO (part M subpart G)
Old 31st May 2010, 21:47
robin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure that I'd agree with the above posts

The problem is that although the CAMOs are doing what they always did, the separation of roles means that a new company needs to be set up and that costs of gaining approvals need to be funded.

Thanks to the changing requirements and the fact that the CAA rushed its implementation before the rules were set, the CAMOs incurred massive and unnecessary cost whic they are having to recoup from owners.

That said, it is clear that maintaining a CofA aircraft is becoming uneconomic. My a/c is one model adrift from a permit so components are costing between 50% and upwards more for the Form 1 paperwork than an almost identical aircraft. Some components are not available at all.

We having been holding on for the Part M lite or ELA1 but as with all things Euopean/CAA it has been delayed indefinitely.

Personally I would recommend avoiding signing up with a CAMO for as long as possible. Once signed up you are in the hands of an organisation with a vested interest in ripping you off and you have absolutely no defence.

If they say something needs to be done, it gets done and at the facility the CAMO specifies (usually somewhere they control. My CAMO has just said that at annual, the aircraft will go to one of their subsidiaries for maintenance that I've been told is not necessary at the moment.

Consequently we are moving to a new facility but this will incur the cost of the 'back to birth' inspection

Nice one CAA