PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 20:25
rspilot

Location: Currently unemployed and live in my parents basement
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you guys really pilots? I can't believe what I am reading. Push the thrust levers forward? retract the landing gear? flap position to fifteen?

All of these methods are very risky. You are decreasing the stability of an aircraft at a dangerously low altitude. The whole desire to "go around" in the first place is because the aircraft hasn't stablilized, why make it worse?

Maybe upon landing the FO immediately grabbed the trust levers and pushed them to Max thrust causing the aircraft to lawn darted of the end. If the flaps are retracted indescriminately you could get stick shaker and then aggrivate it even more by trying to pull back on the stick.

I am being overly sarcastic of course but never try to influence a "go around" by destablizing an already unstable aircraft.

Why not simply tell the tower to cancel landing clearance due to bird activity, we have to go around. I find it hard to believe that anybody would continue to land an aircraft if the tower instructs a "go around". you are also giving the flying pilot a chance to save face without incriminating anybody and he will be glad to make it right the next time.

Bye the way, I have done this and it works. No, I didn't have two hundred fifty hours when it happened. I had years of experience and I know that every pilot wants to get it right but sometimes needs a bit of encouragement.