PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7 little weeks of Sadness..... XV109 today
Old 31st May 2010, 19:52
November4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could well have been so very different

I flew on 109 as part of a MAMS team in Sep / Oct 1988 from Brize to Hong Kong and then two shuttles to Kathmandu. I think it was on that trip that that the Sgt (poss FS) Load Mistress ended up in the swimming pool, late at night, in Kathmandu...assisted a little by the Stewards and MAMS.

My trip on 109 was the one that could have been a different ending for her.

8 Dec 1988 109 was tasked to recover RM pax from Gardermoen when a Hercules went u/s. Gardermoen - Leuchars - Brize no problem except over, Birmingham a bang was heard from the wheel well. Apparently one of the main wheels had exploded and the debris had taken out the fuel lines to 2 of the engines as well as the auto pilot and hydraulic system. The crew managed to recover to Brize and the 50 or so RM and crew evacuated the aicraft via the enmergency slides. We later heard that this was the closest to losing a VC10 that the RAF had come.

8 months later though, 109 brough me home from a 6 month tour in Belize. Not sure if that was a good move or not as I got engaged not long after. But I suppose after almost 20 years of marriage....yes it was a good thing.