PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 16:05
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Centauraus has said, raising the gear is a fairly definitive method of indicating your intent as an FO. Better would be to select Flap 15, hit the TOGA button and then raise the gear. If the 'Cmdr' tries to pull the power levers back, a well placed foot will keep full power on the aircraft. The power will cause the aircraft to pitch up and a climb is inevitable. What happens next is entirely a matter of conjecture but quite often the realisation that one has phucked up is quite enough to allow the situation to be taken out of one's hands. Indeed, research has shown that most of the culprits will meekly submit to the new circumstances when the inevitable has been brought home to them. I know it takes a brave man to take such action but until this course of action becomes the norm in an extreme situation, these accidents will continue. Training, culture, education must be altered in ALL airlines to reflect this as accepted behaivour amongst pilots, be they LH or RH seat.
From what I have read so far, I would apportion a great deal of the blame, if blame needs to be apportioned, on the inadequate, arrogant and misguided management of the company, from the very top down to the Chief Pilot/Training Captains. Forcing Captains to write a safety report after a Go-around is simply ridiculous and goes to the very heart of this easily preventable accident.