PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Limiting Factors For Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 14:20
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j_t:
I thought it might be interesting to see how folk fared with some increased difficulty (all in an appropriate, relaxed and friendly manner). The results I found very interesting. Even the more experienced checkies etc., had some difficulty until they'd had a couple of goes to get the gyrations under control.
Thus far you are spoken in generalities, other than to express concern that my splay from the DER to some reasonable RNP linear area would not assure containment because of "rusty pilot" performance.

Specific question: Using FAA's AC 120-91 as a reference, specifically the straight out area method, do you believe your typical "rusty pilot" would not be able to maintain containment from the DER to say 1 mile beyond? ...2 miles? ...or more?

And, what about locations that require a 15-degree banked turn be commenced at as low as 100 feet, afe. (I know of a couple of those in California). Do you feel that a fair percentage of "rusty pilots" would miss the turn requirement or, alternatively, perhaps drop the wing into the dirt?

Is your conclusion that airplanes aren't falling out of the sky is perhaps because engines simply have not failed above V1 (while still on the runway or just after rotation) at critical locations? If so, there is likely no experience in the real world with my example of the turn being mandatory at 100 feet, agl, just after the engine fails.