PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 11:29
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the legality or otherwise of using rad alt during a NPA has already been established and agreed upon by most posters.
- not only is is 'illegal' but it is plain stupid. Regardless of what they were doing, they descended below DA/DA (for some reason) and flew down into a dip. Is there a serious suggestion that an accurate terrain model would have made any difference when I believe ALL warnings were being ignored?. A few meters - insignificant. I suspect if they had not hit the first tree they would have hit the next or the rising ground with the same results.
They just should not have been where they were, doing what they were doing, and you all have to accept that.

Elsewhere I see "Or stressed like hell. E. Klich said, that the PIC was "programmed for landing". " yet it is reported that there was no intention of landing - they were merely having a look?????? Which is it?

It really is no good trying to defend the crew due to 'being under stress' - ask yourself what they actually achieved. If the Chief of the PAF was the 'driving force' - didn't he do well?

No, my money is still on a false visual acquisition. Still wrong, but nothing to do with 'radalts' and more understandable, but not excusable, with the suggested 'pressures' in the cockpit.