PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 31st May 2010, 11:20
Spanner in the works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as sacrifices made by other dept, I am really sorry I wish I could comment on it as I have heard about cuts left right and centre but i am not very competent on it and everything I have heard is voices or rumours.
And therein lies the rub.
Equally I don't know what you have been told or are exposed to as far as the rest of the airline is concerned.
I am in Engineering and haven't had a pay-rise for three years.
Our work responsibilities have increased for various new projects and merging of teams, but the teams themselves are approx a 1/3 down on two years ago.
We have had budgets slashed too.

Yet most of us are doing CSP during snow and ash issues - never mind strikes.

The rest of the Airline is doing it's bit.

As far as I can see you HAVE had more guarantees over T&C and basic pay rises than I could ever hope for. I probably wont get one for another year or two. You WILL.

And you have to admit some of the payments and practices currently in place for CC are ridiculuous.

Not saying you should get the same - but when I go on a business trip I get expenses for what I spend - no more. And what I spend has to be reasonable or it gets rejected.

None of us like this real world - and some of us are pretty down about it.
But - we have accepted that it IS the real world.
So when a group goes on strike because they wont even negotiate (remember that this is why it all started) then the rest of us I think, are quite within our rights to be a bit peed-off with them.

Especially when they treat it like some sort of village fete.

The problem is not WW. The problem is not BA's board. The problem is the Airline industry and the battle to stay in it.

Finally, remember when al the negotiations started this time last year, the union wouldnt even accept that BA was in the poo. Kept saying that it's a bluff to get us to accept change.
And that was just round one.

Now we are bickering over a perk that some might lose.

How crazy/mad/short-sighted is that?