PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a Backcourse (B747-400)
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2010, 11:03
NSEU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My original questions were posed simply to find out if I could get normal backcourse indications sitting at the gate. I was hoping someone could confirm that what I would see on the ground would be what you were seeing in the the air (being a landlubber, I didn't know what you were seeing in the air)

According to my training notes, the EIU's have the capability of automatically changing the sense of the loc indications on the PFD when following a backbeam (I guessed, to allow you to follow the loc pointer, in the usual fashion, to the beam centre).

If the indications simply relied on current track and entered ILS course, then I could quite easily reproduce the indications on the ground. If there was some additional logic (such as air-ground signals or aircraft movement or aircraft position relative to the Loc antenna), then I wouldn't be able to reproduce those signals.

Anyway, for info, the runway is on the right of the aircraft. If the indications in the photo are indeed correct for backcourse operation in the air, then I could simply fly towards the pointer/deviation bars to get to the centreline.

If this display is different from the one you were expecting, then I am starting to worry again

To Otterman: Yes, there are indeed many ways to skin a cat. Somewhere in the dim dark past, however, I did see a departure routine which used the words follow ILS backbeam until... something... I can't remember what. However, it was probably not for an aircraft like the 744

Again, thanks for your insight.

Cheers.
NSEU.